Yes, it is possible to teach yourself hypnobirthing. Maggie Howell taught herself for the birth of her first son in 2000.
The key areas to focus on are
- really think about what you want for your birth – rather than what you don’t want
- think about and practice mental imagery that you find safe and relaxing
- think about ways you like to relax and use visualisation or music to help you get into a deeply relaxed state
- create a list of positive suggestions regarding the birth ie how you want to feel, what you want to (post hypnotic suggestions)
- write your own hypnosis script
- add in your relaxation, visualisation imagery, and positive suggestions regarding the rest of your pregnancy and birth
- record your script
- Listen to your recording at least 3 times a week from 32 weeks onwards.
This is the same process that was used to create the Natal Hypnotherapy hypnobirthing audio tracks